Hitchens on single standards

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat May 4 10:10:44 PDT 2002

>So, you'd rather see millions starve under the Taliban, which was quite
>possible, than having that famine averted, as Oxfam reported in January?
>You'd rather watch half of Afghanistan's population be turned into slaves
>and executed in soccer stadiums? Hell, even RAWA conceded in its recent
>statement that there's more room now for their efforts than under the
>"wolves" of the Taliban. Do you really believe it would have benefited the
>people of Afghanistan if we had done nothing?
>
>DP

You do see, don't you, that this is a license for endless intervention everywhere against all regimes that don't live up to our high moral standards. And it cuts several ways: on the basis of this, youcan hardly object if al-Qaida decides to rain death on the infidel, which promotes evil un-Islamic values everywhere.

jks