$7 billion/Carlyle

Tim Shorrock tshorrock51 at hotmail.com
Sat May 4 10:27:34 PDT 2002

I guess the latest news with Carlyle's defense subsidiary UDI shows that Carlucci & gang are not all-powerful, despite Carlucci's lifelong friendship with Rumsfeld, his old Princeton pal. But hey its business. Carlyle decided on the Crusader IPO in the weeks after 9-11, knowing full well that defense stocks would go up. Since the IPO in December, Carlyle has sold most of its stock (last I checked they held 48%), reaping hundreds of millions of dollars for their coffers. That was when it looked like the Crusader would be funded. Now that it might get the axe, Carlyle has made its money and is moving on to other things - like shedding its holdings in Le Figaro and buying up some of the media business of Vivendi. And of course, there's the new possibility of selling arms to Taiwan, a policy helped along in March when Carlucci and UDI got Taiwan's Defense chief together with Paul Wolfowitz in the highest level defense contact between the US and Taiwan since 1979. Wolfowitz told the conference organized by the US-Taiwan Business Council (headed by Carlucci and partly funded by UDI) that the US would do all it could to help Taiwan defend itself against China. They seem to know quite well when to get in and when to get out.

TS

http://www.atimes.com/china/DC19Ad02.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A22150-2002May2.html

http://www.thenation.com/docPrint.mhtml?i=20020401&s=shorrock

Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 00:19:43 -0400 From: "pms" <laflame at aaahawk.com> Subject: Re: $7 billion

I don't know about 7 bil but I have seen the sleaze really oozing with the new development at UDI.

As I recall the Crusader tank/missile thingy almost was canceled by the Army while Clinton was in, but then under Bush, congress ok'd funding for the Crusader, happily for UDI's owner Carlyle, just a day or two before UDI was spun off in an IPO. Now unhappily for the shareholders, Crusader is back on the chopping block. And apparently Sec't White of Enron fame is the icing on the sleazy cake. Check out headlines under chart. http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=UDI&d=c&k=c1&a=v&p=s&t=6m&l=on&z=m&q=l