Terror Inc.

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun May 5 19:04:28 PDT 2002

> > As several people have observed, the source of terror is NOT
>Afghanistan.
> > However, what the U.S. has truly excelled at in the last twenty years is
>in
> > the destruction of small and completely helpless countries.
>
>A century ago the imperialist slogan was "Speak softly and carry a big
>stick." In the last 30 years they have substituted the slogan, "Screech
>loudly and stick it to a small country."
>
>Carrol

I wouldn't care to minimize the damage the US government has done in the last 20 years and longer than that--WWII excepted--to many small countries. As Chomsky has argued (mainly in the context of insisting taht the term "terrorism" is pretty useless), many of these actions fir the definition of terrorism if that is understood as violence perpertrated against civiliams for political ends. However, it's wrong to deny that Afhghanistan allowed itself to become an haven for a particularly nasty gang of political-religious thugs who recently committed sever acts of ghastly mass murder here in the US. As you know, I do not think that justifies war. But the fact should not denied, nor the necessity for some response--in my view an international politice response--to the crimes committed by thise hoodlums. jks