The Sorrow and the Pity

Lance Murdoch MurdochLance at netscape.net
Sun May 5 20:58:20 PDT 2002

Comrade Furuhashi says:

>The results so far show that the war and police actions have netted
>few -- perhaps none? -- that could be plausibly linked to the direct
>responsibility for 9-11-01.
>
>For some problems in the world, there is no psychologically
>satisfying solution (especially no satisfying answer that pleases
>everyone). Sometimes, nay, most of the times, the truly guilty party
>walk scot-free, be they 9-11-01 terrorists (other than the ones on
>the airliners), the power elite of the Empire, or surviving fascists
>and collaborators who had long and productive lives and even careers
>after WW2.
>
>Have you (and other LBO-talkers) ever watched _Le chagrin et la
>pitié_ (Dir. Marcel Ophüls 1971)?

If you really want to see a good movie about fascists and collaborators who had long and productive careers after WW2 (who, as Regis Debray says in the movie, picked up where they left off in Europe) watched Marcel Ophuls "Hotel Terminus".

They mention Barbie travelled to Europe in the movie, I forget if they said the USA. Barbie did travel here, and that's in the Ryan report, which is more of a whitewash than Ryan speaking in the movie would have lead me to believe. The Ryan report is avaliable on the web in PDF format as are some FOIA's from the FBI regarding Barbie. It came out recently that the CIA *was* in contact with Barbie in South America, where the right wing government made use of the torture and interrogation skills which he had refined on Jews, leftists and partisans in France. Very fascinating movie, just like Sorrow and the Pity, interviews with retired American intelligence agents, French partisans, Vatican functionaries, New York Times reporters and so forth...very interesting.

__________________________________________________________________ Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop at Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/