Kindler, Gentler "Secessionist" Group Eyeing Small Pop. States

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Sun May 5 23:12:44 PDT 2002

[A bloodless, "democratic" transition to a more autonomous existence for New Hampshire or North Dakota? Yes, if this Yale Ph.D. candidate gets his project off the ground. Naturally, keeping in step with the times, they unequivocally condemn "racism and all other forms of bigotry," as well as " violence and fraud." Oh, and of course they also want to privatize all the utilities, yadda yadda. If apartment vacancy rates suddenly plummet and rents begin to rise exponentially in Fargo, Laramie or Montpelier, then be on your guard! Hey, maybe we could get a conglomeration of lefties to move to Rhode Island and "vote in" our own autonomous zone. Of course, there's always the chance it would just result in a larger, more glaringly isolated version of Berkeley...]

http://freestateproject.org

"The Free State Project is a plan in which 20,000 or more liberty-oriented people will move to a single state of the U.S. to secure there a free society. We will accomplish this by first reforming state law, opting out of federal mandates, and finally negotiating directly with the federal government for appropriate political autonomy. We will be a community of freedom-loving individuals and families, and create a shining example of liberty for the rest of the nation and the world."

[from the FAQ]:

1Q. Who is welcome to participate?

1A. Anyone who can agree to the clause in the Statement of Intent which says that you should support the creation of a society in which the sole role of civil government is the protection of citizens' rights to life, liberty, and property. In essence, this includes everyone who wants to cut the size and scope of government by about two-thirds or more. Put in a positive way, everyone who supports unhampered markets, full personal liberties, and peace is welcome in the Free State Project. People of this disposition may go by many names: classical liberals, libertarians, paleoconservatives, constitutionalists, patriots, fusionists, etc., etc. They are all welcome (though see 6Q and 7Q below). (...)

4Q. How is it possible for 20,000 people to take over a state?

4A. Highly possible, if you pick the right state. Remember that these 20,000 people are going to be activists, not just voters. For every activist you get several voters. How many? One way to quantify it is to look at campaign expenditures. In 2000 the Libertarian Party had 40,000 members and spent $5 million. So we can expect to spend $5 million over any two-year election cycle (probably more - because once we have a chance of winning contributions from PACs will increase, which third parties don't currently get). There are several states in which $5 million would be enough to outspend the Democrats and Republicans put together. See below for further discussion about the states we're considering and this essay for an in-depth examination of how 20,000 activists could elect majorities in certain U.S. states. (...)

9Q. What states are you considering, and on what criteria?

9A. Obviously population is the critical factor. Our research so far indicates that 20,000 activists could heavily influence only states with under about 1.5 million population, or which spend less than $10 million on political campaigns in any given two-year election cycle. By those criteria at least the following states seem possible: Wyoming, Vermont, Alaska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Delaware, Montana, Rhode Island, Hawaii, New Hampshire, and Idaho. Other important criteria include: 1) coastal access (to make ourselves less dependent on the American market and by extension American policies); 2) a native culture that's already pro-liberty; 3) lack of dependence on federal funds (states that lose out on the Union will be more willing to stand up to the federal government and will hurt less from rejecting federal highway funds and other mechanisms of control); 4) a decent job market; 5) not much federally owned land (which can be an excuse for federal meddling in our affairs). By these criteria, some states float to the top. (...)

(snip)

Jason Sorens (email: jason.sorens at yale.edu ) is the founder of the Free State Project and currently maintains the website, also serving as President of the FSP. He grew up in Houston, Texas, received his B.A. in economics and philosophy from Washington and Lee University, and is currently a Ph.D. candidate in political science at Yale University, writing his dissertation on The Political Economy of Secessionism: Regional Responses to Globalization. He lives with his wife, Mary Sorens, in New Haven, Connecticut.

Elizabeth McKinstry (email: emckinst at hotmail.com) is the Vice-President of the FSP. Her interests are eclectic; in the realm of politics, she became a Libertarian after reading R.A. Heinlein at an impressionable age. She prefers the practical application and implementation of political strategies to endless philosophical debates and accordingly looks forward to liberty in her lifetime. Elizabeth will be speaking about the FSP at several upcoming Libertarian Party conventions.

(...)

--

/ dave /