Gore Vidal

Dennis Breslin dbreslin at ctol.net
Mon May 6 08:52:49 PDT 2002

Hmm...I've always enjoyed Vidal. His prodigious learning was a good match for my prodigious ignorance. But I've always had a nagging suspicion that what drove Gore's political animus was his lack of invite to the ruling reindoor games. His views always seem to thinly veil a cynicism about the ways and means of power such that he could easily air views that rationalize the folly of democracy and virtues of elitism. So here's a plebe's questions: what shaped his politics? What does he see as the virtues of democracy and folly of elitism?

Dennis Breslin