Anarchism vs. Marxism

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon May 6 09:40:16 PDT 2002

>I think I'm with Chomsky with his take on Marxism, in that he questions
>why anybody would label themselves as adhering to an ideology named after
>one person.

For what it's worth, this was precisely Marx's take on the term, and that of his early followers in the 1sdt Intrernational. See, if you can find it, Georges Haupt's excellent piece, "Marx and Marxism," in The History of Marxism, vol. I: Marxism in Marx's Day, ed. Eric Hobsbaen, Indiana U.P. 1982. [Did any subsequent volumes of that series ever come out?] The term was popularlized in a positive sense by Kautsky, not Marx and Engels.

At the same time, I understand that the word is a convenient
>label for a body of thought and practice over the past 150 years. I can
>understand why many Marxists are reluctant to give up the term.

Agreed. I am working on a piece on this that I could post to the list, or send to those who might be interested--it's about 20 some pp. in typescript.

>It would probably help everybody if they spent some time reading material
>outside of their usual circles.

Hear hear. Recommendations for anarchist reading?

jks