Elbaum's "Revolution in the Air"

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Mon May 6 19:33:45 PDT 2002

Hi,

So my wife joined one of those cadre organizations in the 70's and I have to admit I saw both the good and the bad. One nasty story is of the cadre communist organization (not the one she joined) that forced gay and lesbian couples to spilt up and marry heterosexually and move to places like Baltimore to "merge with the industrial working class." That went well. (not) On the other hand, I worked in two local organizing campaigns (the Washington Post Pressman's strike, and an anti-racist campaign in the Chicago neighborhood of Marquette Park) where members of cadre groups provided a mechanism for the progressives to have strategy sessions that were totally vital for the successful outcome of the efforts. I wrote about the latter in a journal article:

(2001). “Hate Groups, Racial Tension and Ethnoviolence in an integrating Chicago Neighborhood 19761988.” In Betty A. Dobratz, Lisa K. Walder, and Timothy Buzzell, eds., The Politics of Social Inequality, Vol. 9, pp. 117-163.

When my wife joined the group she was told I was a "bourgeoisie individualist," and that she should divorce me. Thanks a lot. OK, so I was a Bourgeoisie progressive journalist. But there are limits. While she was in, I treid to find some area of cooperation. I joined a pro-Albaniam group, chronicled in an article for Resist:

Abstaining from Bad Sects Understanding Sects, Cadres, and Mass Movement Organizations

http://resistinc.org/newsletter/issues/1999/12/berlet.html

OK. I tend to write a lot.

But the point I am trying to make is that a lot of the folks that joined cadre groups in the 1970's-1980's were sincerely trying to find a way to combine revolutionary politics with real world reality. Many of them later left these groups, and now are major figures in progressive politcs.

(my lips are sealed).

-Chip Berlet

<http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osu.edu/students/CJP/>