RAWA vs FMF/Ms.

Diane Monaco dmonaco at pop3.utoledo.edu
Tue May 7 08:26:04 PDT 2002

At 05:50 PM 5/6/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>April 20, 2002
>An Open Letter to the Editors of Ms. Magazine (posted by RAWA)
>....For the Feminist Majority to use the first issue of Ms. since its
>purchase of the magazine as a vehicle to write this indigenous, feminist
>group out of Afghan women's history is not so much a slap in the face of
>RAWA as it is an indictment of the compromises and convolutions the
>Feminist Majority seems willing to make for their own self serving
>purposes. It is also a sorry indication of the future of hegemonic
>feminism in the US, not to mention the future of Ms. magazine, the once
>proud, independent and inclusive voice of the women's movements the world over.

You know, I don't think the RAWA vs FMF/Ms. is really about feminism or even the usual political spectrum divisions that exist between radical vs. liberal-moderate-conservative, or left-wing vs. centrist, or minority vs. majority. RAWA was "in" during the fall and now it's "out" in the spring. Why? Why were the twin tower death tolls projected to be more than 7000 in the fall and then officially reported as less than 3000 in the spring, was it about family/friends not caring enough to even report that their loved ones did not come home from work after a few days? Why did the media conglomerates send a directive down to the radio stations in the fall to not play Peace Train but now presumably it's okay in the spring, was it about Cat Stevens?

Ms Magazine is now part of the vertically and horizontally integrated media conglomerates (less than 10 worldwide and mostly US owned) that serve the just as vertically and horizontally integrated corporate interests. It is an integrated system of gargantuan size...I don't really know what to call it...perhaps machine...perhaps it is really more telling to just call it -- it! So now if a little radical feminism is needed by "it" to pursue a particular interest -- say, control the enormous oil reserves in Central Asia -- "it" goes for it and becomes feminist until the mission changes. RAWA was part of the mission in the fall and Cat Stevens was not. Sima Samar, the Minister for Women's Affairs in Afghanistan, is now part of the mission in the spring and RAWA is not -- and Ms magazine is now in position to help facilitate "it." We may even hear Peace Train on the radio more often to put us in the mood.

I could try to tell Ms to heed the words of RAWA but the magazine is no longer independent so I guess it is best to just try to expose "it."

Diane