Welfare State

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu May 9 08:57:26 PDT 2002

TANF is a $16b program in a $2 trillion budget. There are lots of reasons to criticize it, but meanwhile we have had the creation and expansion of other welfare programs. The catch is they are conditional on employment and they have funding problems that so far have been lurking but not fully come into view. I don't think this adds up to "a decline of the welfare state." There is some change on the edges and some stagnation, but that's different, IMO.

mbs