Mandela keeps strange company

Diane Monaco dmonaco at pop3.utoledo.edu
Thu May 9 08:59:14 PDT 2002

At 06:04 PM 5/7/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>As a black South African, who was the political correspondent for the
>biggest paper in teh country, who was in the liberaiton movement and who,
>for two years, worked in Mandela's government where I managed to
>contribute to some of his speeches.... Since his return he has ALWAYS kept
>bad company, Suharto, the Saudis, Kissinger - and the Dallas Cowboys
>:-)... My biggest problem with him is that he has made white South
>Africans feel like they had done nothing wrong. Thabo Mbeki has tried to
>remind them and they have shafted him in the media they dominate - not
>that he, too, is without fault.

When I was in South Africa last summer, a question I was often asked by black South Africans was who do Americans view as the greatest leader in SA...of course I would have to reply: Nelson Mandela. But it was so very important to them, especially my friends in the Eastern Cape, that Americans know Thabo Mbeki's father, Govan Mbeki, was the greatest activist.

Diane

SOUTH AFRICA, WORLD MOURN LOSS OF GOVAN MBEKI 05 Sep 2001 DURBAN, South Africa--Govan Mbeki passed away Aug. 30, one day before the opening of the World Conference Against Racism. He was 91 years old. Mbeki was memorialized by mass rallies across South Africa, including at a huge amrch and rally by the Congress of South African Trade Unions here in Durban. Mbeki devoted much of his life to building the South African labor movement. His funeral wil be he held Sept. 8 in Port Elizabeth. Mbeki, known as Om Gov by the South African people, was the father of South African president Thabo Mbeki. He was also a great leader of the struggle against apartheid. He was a founder of the African National Congress and a lifelong member of the South Afrcian Communist Party. Born in Transkei in 1910, at the age of 15 he became active with the Industrial and Commercial Union, South Africa's first mass organization of Black workers. In his life he was a peasant organizer, a writer and an editor of the liberation newspapers New Age and Spark. In 1962 Mbeki was declared a "banned person" by the apartheid regime. Rather than remain cut off from the struggle, he went underground and helped organize the armed struggle against apartheid. He was arrested and sentenced to life imprisonment along with Neslon Mandela, Walter Sisulu, Ahmed Kathrada, Dennis Goldberg and other ANC leaders. He was imprisoned on Robben Island from from 1961 until the mass struggle won his release in 1987. Upon leaving prison, he immediately returned to the work of the ANC. He wrote several books, including South Africa: The Peasnts' Revolt. In 1980 the ANC conferred upon him the time-honored title Isithwalandwie. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20020509/5f0cbcb6/attachment.htm>