Welfare State

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu May 9 09:01:21 PDT 2002

AFDC/TANF caseloads have been cut by over three million 'cases' (some consisting of kids only). A lot of these cases are in separate work programs. Meanwhile we have the expansion of Medicaid eligibility, the new SCHIP program, and the expanded EITC (now the second largest means- tested program), among other stuff.

I'm just finishing a medium-opus criticizing TANF, so don't get me wrong on that, but the initial question was posed in the form of some broad and widespread systemic decline. I don't think that's right.

mbs