the Euro-left and anti-semitism

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Thu May 9 12:37:47 PDT 2002

Ian cross posted article by Milne :
> >With the far right on the march across the continent, it is hardly
> >surprising that a community barely a couple of generations away from the
> >most devastating genocide in human history feels beleaguered - a
> >perception heightened by atrocities against civilians in Israel, such as
> >Tuesday's suicide attack in Rishon Letzion.

joanna bujes:
> I get so tired of this "most devastating genocide in human history." I
> think native Americans, to take just one example, could definitely make
> that claim as well.

This is unlikely to reassure Jews worried about a recrudescence of European anti-Semitism.

However, there's an odd thing going on with Israel and its way of relating to the Arabs, formally speaking: it recreates the ghetto, a Jewish community surrounded by hostile neighbors, and with the settlements it sends forth fractals of itself which intensify its predicament.

Some postmodernist rhizome-flogger must have noticed this before now.

-- Gordon