Terror Inc.

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Fri May 10 00:29:14 PDT 2002

Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 11:27:21 -0400 From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Subject: Re: Terror Inc.

Tahir Wood wrote:

>(The natives are morally superior because they are closer to nature,
>etc. etc., which I think is only one step, or perhaps only half a !
>step, removed from the idea that revolutionary change can only be
>brought about at the periphery).

But then you get the quote from Engels on how the British workers had been completely bourgeoisified, and hopeless as revolutionary subjects. How do you respond to that? Doug

Yes this idea always comes up and of course it has its grain of truth. But one could extend this line of thinking indefinitely: one could also say that racism and xenophobia is most acute amongst the working class everywhere, so therefore the working class in general is also hopeless as revolutionary subject. The hard fact is that the ruling class everywhere rules more by consent than coercion and this may remain true until a deepening of the global capitalist crisis. That's why the most important task is laying the foundations of an internationalist consciousness amongst a large group of people round the globe and then HOPE (this is important) that one is strong enough to influence the course of events. We do know that capitalism is not sustainable, so we don't have to hope for its demise. We do have to be very afraid, however, of a descent into utter barbarism.

I don't believe that there is any point whatsoever in championing one part of the system against some other. That notion of anti-imperialism in my view has played itself out and is now bankrupt. Imperialism is inherent to capitalism and there is no such thing as a non-imperialist capitalism. I don't believe in strategy and tactics and what Camatte referred to as the endless 'wandering of humanity' from one 'strategic' stage to another. One variety of bullshit is as bad as any other. Anyway we don't have time to pursue the various mirages of 'stages' of struggle. What counts is the consciousness of the possibility of communism, period.

OK I know that my response opens up more questions than it provides answers, but then everything is connected isn't it?

Regards Tahir