Cheap Morality, was Re: anti-zionism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 10 13:00:31 PDT 2002

Luke Weiger wrote:

>Marxism, like any other substantive set of political positions, relies in
>large part on value judgments for whatever force it may be said to possess.
>Slightly more succinctly: the Marxist eschewal of "rigorous moral positions"
>is ultimately self-defeating.

Or a self-delusion. I know that moral/ethical positions are unscientific, and Marx wanted heroically to be scientific, but really now - why care about exploitation, immiseration, polarization, alienation and the rest if you don't have some moral/ethical notion of what the good life should be like? Why not drop the pretense? It might have made sense at one time, but now it looks false and silly.

Doug