anti-zionism

Seth Ackerman sia at nyc.rr.com
Fri May 10 14:48:09 PDT 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:

> The intervention in Kosovo has actually ended up being far more successful
in
> moral terms than I expected -- democratic elections in both Serbia and
> Kosovo, the return of Serbian refugees to Kosovo, and the general end to
the
> mass murders that had been running across the Balkans for a decade. That
is
> an admirable model for intervention that I don't expect to be repeated
often,
> but I will support it when it comes up as a possibility.

Not quite. Half the Serb refugees are still too afraid to return. The other half live in NATO-guarded "safe havens" and can't move freely. Eventually, they will either be expelled, or there will be a civil war, or there will be a partition of Kosovo - which is what Milosevic himself wanted all along. (Signs of nascent partition are already appearing).

In other words, there will either be a morally bad outcome or there will be a morally good outcome that would have been attainable without bombing Serbia. Menawhile, Serbs are still trying to rebuild their country and its devastated infrastructure, something I haven't noticed entering into your moral calculus.

Seth