Cheap Morality, was Re: anti-zionism

Michael McIntyre mmcintyr at depaul.edu
Fri May 10 18:10:22 PDT 2002

No argument that Marxism embodies ethical claims, even when they're disavowed. The exact relationship between normative and empirical claims we can leave aside for the moment.

But while vaunting our moral superiority, let's not forget one other card we hold. Capitalism cannot survive without continually reproducing a class of people who have an interest in its downfall.

I mean, I'm as happy to go down in flames for a good cause as anyone. But one day I would like to win, and I'd hate to throw away just about the only good card I have left.

MM

>>> carlremick at hotmail.com 05/10/02 19:49 PM >>>
Damn straight. I think I've referred earlier on the list to Marxism as the morality that dare not speak its name. Moral claims seem so prissy, so wispy, when you look at what they're up against, but I think ultimately superior morality is the only thing the left has going for it.

Carl