Welfare State

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Fri May 10 18:55:54 PDT 2002

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Nathan Newman wrote:

> So what line items in the budget do you consider the worst parts of the
> corporate welfare state?

It's not just what's there (CTJ estimated the total corporate welfare bill at $50 billion per annum, everything from B2 avionics to suburban sprawl to bogus export subsidies). It's what *isn't* there -- spending on education, health care, investment, higher minimum wages, etc. As a result, working stiffs such as myself go into debt (92K and counting, though I start repayments next month) -- money, I should note, I owe directly to the Department of Education. Instead of a welfare state, the US has a dire, twisted rentier state.

-- Dennis