My First Campaign Contribution

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun May 12 04:03:57 PDT 2002

Several weeks ago, I made the first electoral campaign contribution in my life, together with my favorite Columbus organizer Mark D. Stansbery. We wrote a $150 check to our old friend Kenny Schweickart running for the 22nd district seat in the Ohio House of Representatives. Kenny didn't get the Democratic Party's endorsement, but he won the May 7 primary anyway, by waging a truly grassroots campaign of handmade yard signs, flyers, and the like. (Our joint campaign contribution of $150 constituted about a quarter of the total campaign contribution for Kenny, I think; in return, Kenny says he will give us "the key to the building" if he wins. :-) ) Kenny will be running against Republican Jim Hughes in November. An upset is possible, as Hughes is nondescript. Besides, fighting a good and sensible fight against the "war on drugs" is a winning cause, as Americans get tired of spending more and more on prisons overcrowded by non-violent drug offenders and feel it's not right to deny AIDS and cancer patients medical use of marihuana to alleviate pain and restore appetite.

Kenny Schweickart has been fighting against the "war on drugs" for many years, through organizations such as For a Better Ohio, Drug Policy Education of Ohio, Ohio Patient Network, and the Ohio Industrial and Medical Use Initiative. He has been constantly involved in many activist mobilizations for peace and social and economic justice as well. The centrist Columbus weekly _The Other Paper_ (which has no respect for the content of Kenny's activism) correctly credits Kenny's tireless efforts to register voters for ballot initiatives for drug decriminalization and the like for the upset in the primary: "Maybe Tuesday's results will inspire them [Ohio Dems] to do what some in the local Democratic Party have grumbled they don't do enough of -- register some like-minded people to vote and then get their butts to the polls" (Aaron Marshall, "Tokin' Democrat," _The Other Paper_ 9 May 2002).

Perhaps, Nathan has already discussed this, but one way candidates to the left of Dems can participate in electoral politics successfully (= win seats if possible, while conducting political education unconstrained by the limits of the Democratic Party) is to run in local Democratic primaries without the Party's endorsement, best the Party-endorsed candidates, and then run as independents or candidates endorsed jointly by the Dems and assortments of other parties like the Greens and the Labor Party. In many Democratic primaries, the Dems hardly do anything for candidates they endorse, so it's possible for well-networked activists to win without spending much.

For donations, ideas, and other ways to get involved in the Kenny Schweickart campaign, call 614-265-VOTE or email dpeo at earthlink.net. Kenny welcomes donations of any amount up to $2,500. "Even a $15 donation will be put to good use, such as making signs and contacting constituents." -- Yoshie