woulda coulda shoulda

Daniel Davies dsquared at al-islam.com
Sun May 12 22:49:42 PDT 2002

Luke W wrote:

>Perhaps you should remove me from your "kill file." As I stated before,
>one's positions in regards to situations where the principle cannot guide
>action often reveal what one would do in situations where the principle
can
>guide action. Example: let's suppose that you are told about a gruesome
>murder that many bystanders were aware of and could have prevented but
chose
>not to. Perhaps in a rare unguarded moment you might be moved to declare,
>"If I were there, I would've stopped the brute cold in his tracks."
>Obviously, this position cannot guide action. However, it seems to reveal
>principle (e.g. I will prevent acts of violence when it is clearly in my
>power to do so) that might well impel you to act accordingly in different
>situations.

I'd just like to point out that in my fairly limited experience of the field, statements of the sort ... "If I had been there, I'd have ... [carried out some aggressively described act of physical violence]" cause me to immediately mark the speaker out as a paper soldier who will, one hundred times out of a hundred, prove to be absolutely bloody useless when it actually kicks off.

dd