More tedious metaethics

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon May 13 07:43:42 PDT 2002

>(1) I was probably misshapen at an early age by hearing U of C econ grad
>students run around the quads talking about "utiles" pretty much as if they
>were tiles in a mah jongg game. Of course, you might convince me that
>those cretins aren't really people, so "no one" believes that value is a
>substance.

Well, economists aren't people, and U of C economists are even less so. I talking about Marxists. If someone can provide quotations and citations to a Marxist economist who has believed that value in Marx (embodied labor) is a substance, I'll eat my hat. Of course there may be such an idiot. But NCEs talking rot about utiles is not a countereaxmple.

(Although my warning was really against slipping into a way of talking "as if" value were a substance, not the literal belief that value is a substance). But I'll take your suggestion and add Gibbard to my list of things to read.

>(2) As to the last half of your response, I'm confused. We agree that
>there is no special need to justify concern for human welfare as "good" to
>an absolute skeptic. But what about the person who places some other value
>before welfare, while not denying that welfare is a good thing, all other
>things being equal?

Like me, for example. Or Rawls. We think that freedom and equality of opportunity and fairness is basic dsitribution are more important--Rawls, in that order.

>Isn't that what the debate between von Stauffenberg and the German general comes down to: honor vs. welfare? So, eschewing any attempt to justify welfare as "Good", what do you say to the general?

No, not necessarily. von S refers (in my story) to cruelry and evil, neoither od which fit nicely into welfarist classifications.

>So, you see, I'm not entirely convinced that Anscombe's position is
>"entirely unsatisfactory." Why can't one argue for a relative priority of
>goods?

Who said you can't? But it's not easy. Rawls' version of the argument doesn't work, or so I argue in my Rights of Inequality, Legal Theory 2001.

>Why can't one argue, in this case, that an honorable oath to Hitler is a
>contradiction in terms?

I surely hope you could, but that avoids the problem of incommensurability.

>Or that clinging to honor while perpetuating cruelty is a particularly
>odious form of moral self-indulgence? Or that "honor" is a patriarchal
>concept that really has no place in ethics at all?

Could argue all of those things. I am not sure I agree that honor has noplace in ethics.

>(3) Actually, I think it can be shown that the way rational choice theory
>tries to finesse commensurability doesn't work - at least the way von
>Neumann-Morgenstern tried to do it. They propose a lottery in which you
>first identify your least- and most-preferred alternatives, and then rank
>all othe alternatives as equivalent to a lottery ticket with specific
>probabilities of those polar alternatives. This confuses enforced (and
>probably meaningless) choice with commensurability. Reason doesn't require
>a complete ranking of preferences, nor is an induced ranking necessarily
>meaningful.
>
>MM

Yes.

jks