Suicide Bombers

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 13 09:05:59 PDT 2002

Michael Pugliese wrote:

>Doug>...Or Frances Stonor Saunders' The Cultural Cold War: The CIA and the
>World of Arts and Letters:
>
>http://www.wpunj.edu/newpol/issue31/johnso31.htm
>
>The Cultural Cold War: Faust Not the Pied Piper
>
>Alan Johnson
>
>[from New Politics, vol. 8, no. 3 (new series),
>whole no. 31, Summer 2001]
>
>ALAN JOHNSON is a reader in the Center for Studies in the Social
>Sciences, Edge
>Hill of Higher Education, England. He is writing a biography of Hal Draper and
>is a member of the NEW POLITICS editorial board.

Michael, it'd be nice if you made an argument sometimes instead of stringing together a few phrases and then forwarding a 48k article. If you think the article is good, just give us a link and a few grafs, and maybe say what you think is so good about it.

What I read of this piece makes Saunders sound like a Soviet apologist, which she isn't. In fact, I thought she had a few too many pledges of allegiance to The West. Are you implying what I quoted from her book about Orwell was inaccurate or unfair? He wasn't an anti-Semite, homophobe, and a snitch after all?

Doug