Hotbeds of dissent...

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Mon May 13 11:40:41 PDT 2002

At 05:15 PM 05/12/2002 -0400, Kelly cross-posted
>Since the 1960s, however, universities have become havens for
>displaced radicals and the humanities instruments of political
>agitation. Arnold's vision of the civilizing potential of "the best
>that
>has been thought and said" gives way to a smorgasbord of attacks on
>Western civilization that are a part of the "multicultural" agenda.

I feel really torn on this one. On the one hand, the idea that "universities have become a havens for displaced radicals" is a joke. Although agitational/educational stuff goes on on the fringes, the vast majority of academics I have run into are quite conservative. On the other hand, if this is the beginning of a new witch hunt, it may have the effect of further radicalizing those so inclined as well as those who are willing to stand up for freedom of speech if nothing else.

Joanna