"The Nazification of Israel, " by Aijaz Ahmad

Michael McIntyre mmcintyr at depaul.edu
Mon May 13 12:34:28 PDT 2002

Here's the correct link:

http://www.flonnet.com/fl1908/19080100.htm

Aijaz Ahmad is a regular writer for Frontline. He's never been known to be fond of finely crafted distinctions. He's a polemicist, and more than a few of his polemics misfire. (Calling him PoMo is a bit rich, though, since his best known polemic, "In Theory: Classes, Nations, Literatures" is a broadside on PoMos). Here's a sense of the flavor of the article, and the closest thing I find to a justification of the title.

The point that Israel is actively acting on the model of the Nazis was made, for example, by Assaf

Oran, one of the more than one thousand Israeli reservists who have refused military duty in the current

war on the Palestinian people, in an 'Open Letter to American Jews' which he published on the eve of

Passover this year, in response to a massive outpouring of anger against his 'refusenik' comrades:

"Where were all these holy souls, who now scold Tikkun [an organisation supporting 'refuseniks']

because they indirectly allude to the Nazi horrors, where were they all when a senior IDF [Israeli

Defence Forces] officer proudly called, 'in order to beat the Palestinians, let's be Judeo-Nazis'." The

well-known Israeli daily Ma'ariv has also quoted an Israeli officer exhorting his men to study the tactics

adopted by the Nazis during the Second World War: "If our job is to seize a densely packed refugee

camp or take over the Nablus Casbah, and if this job is to be given to an Israeli officer to carry out

without casualties he must before all else analyse and bring together the lessons of past battles, even -

shocking though this might appear - to analyse how the German Army operated in the Warsaw Ghetto."

MM

michael pugliese wrote:

> http://www.flonnet.com/f11908/119080100.htm

>Not Found
>The requested URL /f11908/119080100.htm was not found on this server.

> The very title of the piece, is deliberately inflammatory.

And what about the content? Editors and authors have been known to put inflammatory titles on pieces to attract attention. What does Ahmad say, and what do you disagree with?

>Solid, empirically based reports by groups like Human Rights
>Watch, which, I remind y'all, has staffers like Reed Brophy,
>author of , "Contra Terror In Nicaragua, " from South End Press
>in 1986 and Joe Stork, ex-editor of the leftist MERIP journal
>on the Middle East, was recently interviwed by the editors of,
>"Rethinking Marxism."

Something's missing in this sentence.

Doug