Bozo P. J. O'Rourke

John K. Taber jktaber at tacni.net
Tue May 14 08:39:23 PDT 2002

P. J. O’Rourke, a right-wing bozo (sometimes politely termed "conservative humorist") has a piece on eliminating failures in the June 2002 issue of The Atlantic Monthly, "The Success of Failure." The "failures" are the usual demons of free market theorizers, and are the occasion for this bozo’s cruelty.

Among the failures whose continued existence he deplores are old people:

Even in peacetime and under the aegis of supposed believers

in marketplace triage, the business of government is hardly

folly-proof. By 2030 America is going to have a very large number

of retirees living on Social Security. Government subsidies

produce – as they did with wheat and cheese – surpluses that do

not respond to the usual methods of clearing markets. What will

we do with all the old people? We may have to donate them overseas

in the hope of aiding developing countries that lack age, wisdom,

and bingo.

Fortunately, most of America is still allowed to flop ....

He doesn’t mention how this donating is to be achieved without a very large government indeed to round us up and coordinate the donations. Perhaps patriot militias will run us over the borders at gunpoint. And individual liberty, about which this bozo pretends concern, is ignored if it's that of old people. As wise as he says we are, we probably don’t wish to be donated.

Perhaps the subtext is getting rid of old people by getting rid of Social Security.

I have a better idea. P. J. O’Rourke should die laughing at his own jokes. That would be one less old person eventually. Not much, but from his point of view an improvement. Also, there would be a fraction more Social Security funds to be distributed among us older people who don’t wish to be donations. Best of all, it would be one less malignant fuck.

-- John K. Taber