Nixon's the One

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Tue May 14 14:18:41 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 10:45 AM Subject: Re: Nixon's the One

> Apples and oranges, then, I am talking about the policies they did in fact
> enact or advocate. I don't much care what politicians want, just what they
> do. You can elect politicains who do the wrong thing while wanting the
right
> one--an odd view for a consequentialist, I might remark--

My view isn't particularly odd or at odds with consequentialism. It should come as no surprise to anyone with a modicum of familiarity with human nature that those with better desires generally end up bringing about better consequences, all other things being equal. Nathan's arguments about what would happen if the circumstances of Clinton and Nixon's presidencies were swapped illustrate this principle nicely enough.

-- Luke