Why U.S. supports Israel

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Tue May 14 15:08:50 PDT 2002

> > I agree that the Nazi legacy (and perhaps guilt over not doing enough)
>> informs the way many in the U.S view the Middle East. But I'm not sure
>> that you're comparison of the U.S. with Palestinians is fair. Were the
>> Jews welcolmed with open arms to the U.S.? Yes, at the turn of the century
>> there was a great deal of philo-semiticism in North America and in general
>> the polygot culture of the US (and Canada) has been the best home the
>> Jewish diaspora ever had. BUT, lest we forget, in the crucial decades of
>> the 1920 to the 1960s, immigration to the U.S. was severly restricted, at
>> the behest of nativists and anti-Semites. (Also in Canada: asked how many
>> Jewish immigants Canada should accept, the head of Canadian immigration in
>> the 1930s said that "none is too many.") The fact is, if the US and other
>> Western democracies had the same immigration policies in the 1930s that
>> they had say in 1910, most of the Jews in Europe would have been save and
>> Israel would never have been established...

Very true...

I tend to want to forget the complicity of the U.S. in the Holocaust through the interwar "reforms" of its immigration policy... But I'm not sure you're right about "most"; most of the Jews in Europe were Polish and Russian after all; a lot would have migrated to the U.S., but a lot would have still been there when the Nazi tanks came...

Brad DeLong, trying to decide whether he should depress himself further by reading Benny Morris's _Righteous Victims_ or Christopher Browning's _Ordinary Men_...