A footnote on value theory, but let's not get into this.

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue May 14 19:13:51 PDT 2002

>CB: Actually,I think Marx's exact formulation with the terms "value" and
>"substance" is in the heading of the first page of _Capital_, Use-value is
>the substance of value.

Right, but this doesn't mean there's a substance in the philosophical sense of a self subsistence entity or kind of being in which properties inhere. Brad's thought is that MArx thought that value is sort of spectral goo created by labor which becomes part of the physical constitution of commodities. This is a toral misconception. Value is a relational property that commodities have in virtue of being produced in a generalized market system that makes the amount of labor time expended onm them important in various ways.

jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx