s hingavi

C P quintanus at hotmail.com
Tue May 14 19:49:52 PDT 2002

hi. I'm a lurker. Here is something related to Berkeley and the Students for Justice in Palestine.

Did you all catch the story which was all over cable news before noon on the day that it was released - Fox News, and Chris Matthews Hardball - that an english grad student had put a warning against conservatives taking his english composition section focusing on Palestinian poetry? I personally thought he had been extremely unwise. In the one economic class I ever took, I had to write exams with questions such as "Why should there be no minimum wage?" and there was a specific answer, and it wasn't open to debate, and no one ever criticizes business classes for this. but it was unwise.

Well, this same grad student, Snehal Shingavi, is high ranking or leadership in both the ISO and the Students for Justice in Palestinewhich had 70 arrests in the sit-in at a lecture hall (41 students were suspended for a year and then reinstated), and he gets in the news for that - nothing particularly bad there except for the bad reputation of the ISO. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/05/10/BA122563.DTL

But now I read that he actually admitted to stealing (perhaps with a group) all the Daily Cal newspapers when a paid ad by the Ayn Rand institute was placed last fall. This is indymedia newswire so it isn't quite confirmed, but it strikes me that this single individual has his hand in so many acts which feed into the hands of David Horowitz and the O'Reilly Factor - how much more destructive can you be without actually accomplishing anything substantial to counterweigh? http://sf.indymedia.org/news/2002/05/127580_comment.php#127609

The daily cal reached a new low last Friday. The editors have been so blatantly biased in my opinion recently. They just went ahead and printed an editorial by Bradley R. Smith, notable holocaust revisionist - an essay disguised to represent himself as part of the mainstream propalestinian movement and even mentioning jewish friends. http://www.dailycal.org/article.asp?id=8679 also, I remember when I contributed a local history column to another school newspaper, when they really ran out of ideas they would venture outside and get pictures of squirrels to print, and they printed five pictures of squirrels last Friday. And here is a long list of editorials which offer one opinion on one subject - that all activists or protesters just bites it, by definition. http://www.dailycal.org/article.asp?id=8570

http://www.dailycal.org/article.asp?id=8523&ref=search http://www.dailycal.org/article.asp?id=8475&ref=search http://www.dailycal.org/article.asp?id=8633 oops, here's another one, same month there is a theme developing here http://www.dailycal.org/article.asp?id=8251&ref=search

http://www.dailycal.org/article.asp?id=8008&ref=search http://www.dailycal.org/article.asp?id=7587&ref=search

Christine