Why U.S. supports Israel

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed May 15 07:40:47 PDT 2002

>I actually agree with this point, but it points out why another argument
>used
>by some pro-Palestinians, namely that Arabs can't be anti-semites since
>they
>are the same race as Jews, doesn't hold up. Jews in Israel get denounced
>as
>white colonialists when it serves one rhetorical purpose, then get treated
>as
>just one more semetic race among many when their unique history wants to be
>denied.

Ashkenazi Jews aren'rsemites, anyway, we're descendents of Causaian tribesman, closer, "racially," to Georgians and Azheris than anyone else. But this is besidesthe point. "antisemite" means Jew-hating; it's not a term referring to real or purported "racial" ancestry.

>Given the large number of Mizrachi/Sephardic Jews in Israel due to fleeing
>oppression in Arab states following the 1948 war . ..it would seem that the
>one
>million plus Jews in Israel who had to flee Arab oppression have a similar
>claim.

This is not exactlt a hotly contested point outside, maybe, Hamas, I mean, even the PA and PLO agree that Israel has a "right to exist."

jks