Nixon's the One

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 15 13:12:04 PDT 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:

>What is "building a constituency"? Organizing a union to win concrete power
>in a workplace I understand. But all organizing has to have goals and the
>exercise of power in mind and part of any policy gains in a democracy is
>winning elections.

Let's take an example I've brought up before - the abortion rights movement. It's become so legalistic, so Washington-centered, and so focused on electing Dems that it's done next to nothing to build up membership organizations - people that can be mobilized in large numbers to phone, email, knock on doors. Compare this with the Christian right, which while it's worked on taking over the GOP, also makes itself known as an independent force to be reckoned with. Why does W pander to them so?

Doug