Nixon's the One

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 15 14:02:32 PDT 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Not because they are some abstract "independent force" but because they spend
>MORE time doing electoral work than the pro-choice movement.

So it's all about elections, is it?

The Xian right can say - look, there are 20 or 40 million of us, and we've got the membership and institutions to show it. Toy with us and we'll go elsewhere. Clearly the Rep leadership must think there's some credible threat of exit or they wouldn't pander to them so (given the cost of alienating more secular voters). But they also organize boycotts and letter-writing campaigns when they get annoyed. Our kind of people don't. Oh, Sweeney did send Clinton a telegram the day before he signed the welfare reform bill urging him not to do it. But Bill knew there was no bite in Sweeney's muffled bark.

Doug