ipv6

jean-christophe helary suzume at mx82.tiki.ne.jp
Wed May 15 16:57:56 PDT 2002

<Matt>-----
> On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 10:47:02AM +0900, jean-christophe helary wrote:
> > > Oh, and whoever thinks that IP addresses are 'randomly'
> > > distributed now is very confused.
> >
> > could you un-confuse me ?
>
> IP addresses are allocated to ISPs based on their projected need. There
> are various registries responsible for geographic regions - ARIN in the
> Americas, APNIC in Asia, and RIPE in Europe. These registries also assign
> ASNs (Autonomous System Numbers) which identify distinct networks in the
> global internet routing table.

ok, i knew about that, i thought 'budge' meant more than this. like when i have a ppp connection to my provider, my ip address is not assigned randomly but according to some knowledge of who i am etc.

it there a way to know the share of randomly assigned ip addresses in the total ? what is the ratio of fixed ip/random ip on the end 'user' side.

i understand that random assignment is a way to deal with the limited nb of addresses a provided can use, am i mistaken ? with ipv6 implementation will all users have a fixed number ?

jc helary