Abortion rights movement (was Nixon's the One)

JCWisc at aol.com JCWisc at aol.com
Wed May 15 17:41:34 PDT 2002

In a message dated 05/15/2002 3:12:58 PM Central Daylight Time, dhenwood at panix.com writes:

> Let's take an example I've brought up before - the abortion rights
> movement. It's become so legalistic, so Washington-centered, and so
> focused on electing Dems that it's done next to nothing to build up
> membership organizations - people that can be mobilized in large
> numbers to phone, email, knock on doors. Compare this with the
> Christian right, which while it's worked on taking over the GOP, also
> makes itself known as an independent force to be reckoned with. Why
> does W pander to them so?
>
> Doug

NARAL's web site has a page called "100 Ways to Fight for Choice" http://www.naral.org/actnow/100things.html

It includes things like:

> [...]

> Write a letter to the editor urging pro-choice people in your community to
> be vigilant about protecting a woman's right to choose.
>
> Wear a pro-choice button, sticker or t-shirt at least 15 days out of every
> year.

> Put a pro-choice bumper sticker on your car. Or put a pro-choice sign in
> your window.

> Announce a pro-choice event in your classes, workplace, or place of
worship.
> Then attend and bring a friend.
>
> Become an escort at a reproductive health clinic.

> Ask your local school board members or principal whether the schools in
your
> area teach comprehensive sexuality education. Then send them NARAL's
> sexuality education resources.

> Send NARAL's pro-choice resources to members of your city council and ask
> your mayor to visit http://www.naral.org.

> Know your rights: get Who Decides: A State-by-State Review of Abortion and
> Reproductive Rights from the NARAL Foundation. Ask for an extra copy and
> donate it to your local library.
>
> Be a voice for choice in online discussion groups such as those at
ivillage.
> com or votervoices.com that debate reproductive rights issues.
>
> Talk to your husband, father, uncle or son about how the pro-choice
position
> improves women's lives.
>
> Find out how many abortion providers there are in your state. Join a
program
> that gives rides to women who do not have abortion providers in their
state.

> Organize a bowl-a-thon, pool-a-thon, or an "a-thon" of your choice; send
the
> proceeds to NARAL.
>
> Give your talents — become a board or committee member of a pro-choice
> organization.
>
> If you know someone who has chosen to have an abortion, support her
before,
> during and after the procedure.
>
> Start a grassroots lobbying team. Bring local pro-choice activists
together
> and work with NARAL to get the most recent pro-choice messages to your
> legislators. Contact the NARAL affiliate in your state for more
information.

> Visit your county or city clerk and become authorized to register people
> vote. Register at least 10 new pro-choice voters.
>
> If you are at a college or university, sign up for the Student Organizer
> Listserv.
>
> Find out if your state political party platform fully supports the right
> choose; if it doesn't, join the platform committee.
>
> Support public funding that assists low-income women, women in the
military,
> women on Native American reservations, and women in prison who need
abortion
> services.
>
> Do you remember what it was like before Roe v. Wade? Tell a young woman.
Or,
> read and share these women's stories.

etc.

There is also a page called the Ten Minute Activist: http://www.naral.org/actnow/activist.html

I receive regular direct mail solicitations from NARAL, a couple times a year, I would say. I would join if I had more disposable income; I support a number of other organizations, and am pretty much tapped out. Within the past month, I have also received two direct mail pieces from the Planned Parenthood Federation of America. I don't know how good a job NARAL does of maintaining communication with its membership. Perhaps any list members in NARAL could enlighten us.

These organizations buy membership lists from other organizations and subscriber lists from magazines. I am an ACLU member and get the Nation, the American Prospect, Monthly Review and of course LBO (among others), so that is why their mailings regularly show up in my mailbox.

The abortion rights movement is clearly aware of the need to build a membership organization, thus their extensive use of direct mail, and their web presence. Direct mail was pretty successful for the right in the late 70s and early 80s (remember Richard Viguerie [sp?])? What else should NARAL and like organizations be doing? How should they try to reach people who aren't already ACLU supporters and subscribers to left-of-center rags?

Jacob Conrad