Nixon's the One

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Wed May 15 22:44:53 PDT 2002

The vets in Russia have tattoos saying "Berlin Garrison" or "DDR 1983-83." Plus of course women's names.

I had some beer a while ago with a retired Red Army officer who was practically one head-to-foot tattoo. He was in Nicaragua teaching counterinsurgency tactics to the Sandinistas. Really friendly guy too.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal ------------------

Of course, this was back when tattoos were still mainly worn by outlaws and sailors whose self-perception it sums up perfectly. Which makes me wonder: was it similarly popular 50 years ago in English-speaking tattoo culture? Did New Hampshirians and Hell's Angels share a common cultural meme pool?

Michael