inflation question

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Thu May 16 10:02:38 PDT 2002

Isn't all this talk about Fed raising interest rates to curb inflation total BS? I mean the real inflation in yesterday's numbers comes mostly from two areas: oil prices and soaring healthcare costs. Raising interest rates could, I suppose bring the economy to a standstill so that people can't afford these things and maybe prices would fall. But wouldn't the interest rates be going up, not because the Fed does anything but because foriegners dump bonds and the dollar? And won't oil prices continue to rise anyway because the dollar goes down? I guess my question boils down to, is all this Fed Speak total bunk?