Organizing the left

R rhisiart at earthlink.net
Thu May 16 11:29:23 PDT 2002

NOW is also a great example.

----- Original Message -----

From: joanna bujes

To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com

Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 10:27 AM

Subject: Organizing the left

At 06:36 PM 05/15/2002 -0400, Nathan wrote:

>Not because they are some abstract "independent force" but because they spend

>MORE time doing electoral work than the pro-choice movement. I agree that

>the pro-choice movement is too legalistic but their actual electoral

>apparatus is pathetic, as are most liberal groups.

Every time Planned Parenthood calls me for a contribution, which I

invariably make, I try to talk to them about organizing folks and criticize

the fact that their entire political effort is exclusively focussed on

lobbying. Needless to say, this gets no response. They don't even have a

"number" they can shuffle me off to.

My gut feeling about a lot of "left wing" non-profit groups is that the

leadership is more interested in fluffing themselves up in their

hands-clean middle-class positions than in organizing any major opposition

to the right-wingers. Planned Parenthood is one example, but there are others.

Joanna