NATO expands into irrelevance

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Thu May 16 18:37:11 PDT 2002

Diane Monaco:

> Who needs a new and expanded NATO? ...the industrial-military complex?
>Who
> are our enemies?

China, apparently. It's hard to believe that China is a threat to the US.

>TO will add many more billions to our nearly $300 billion
> dollar military budget per year -- not to mention the additional $29.4
> billion that was just approved for military and antiterrorism spending.
> NATO is a relic.

Chomsky seems to believe that ruling class expects globalisation to increase destitution, inqualities and resultant political turmoil. Higher defense spending is expected to secure ruling circles from the wrath of the impoverished.

Ulhas