You're Living in Ronald Reagan's World

RangerCat67 at aol.com RangerCat67 at aol.com
Fri May 17 07:21:48 PDT 2002

I thought that the predictions made by left and liberal pressure groups in 1996 (i.e., that welfare reform would plunge a further one million children below the poverty line) hinged on economic forecasts made by the Clinton Administration the year before. I vaguely remember a time in which the Federal Reserve Board of Governors, prostrate before their shrines of Ayn Rand, determined that full employment was 95% (a notion that would probably have scandalized most Eisenhower Republicans, with the exception of Clinton and Gore), and that interests rates had to go up so that the economy would slow down, creating an untenable "last to arrive, first to go" situation for those forced to go off welfare. Of course, that situation did not materialize, but how would this experiment have worked in the thick of the 1982 and 1991 recessions, I wonder? I'm sure that the more left-leaning commentators have tried to make something of this, but it seems as though the American Prospect crowd haven't bothered.