NATO expands into irrelevance

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 17 08:56:18 PDT 2002

Ulhas Joglekar wrote:

>Hello Diane! I admire Chomsky, but I don't find much visual evidence of
>greater
>immiseration in absolute terms around me. India's GDP has trebled in last 20
>years, it's unlikeky that things are worse. There is no indication
>destitution will get worse in India. But then India is among the less
>globally integrated economies in India.

Really? Please say more. The GDP growth figures for India aren't just statistical artifacts, but are translating into real material improvement for Indians? How many? The standard Western left version of events is that the benefits of growth are enjoyed by a small portion of the population, and everyone else is left behind or worse. Aren't there hundreds of millions of Indians living in absolute poverty by the World Bank definition (incomes under US$1/day)? Are those numbers rising or falling?

Doug