Today's Law School Ruling

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat May 18 11:59:14 PDT 2002

>do you believe the decision will be appealed?

Yes.

any thoughts about how it
>will fare if it is appealed?

It's not slam dunk, but I believe that it may be reversed. The Courts of Appeals, even traditionally "liberal" ones, have been running stringly against affirmative action based on a guess that the S.Ct. will not sustain it. I believe that it shouls, based on its own precedent, see my comment in the Ohio State Law Journal 1997, "A Not Quite Color-Blind Constitution," available on the net if you google it, but I think that the Court is fairly lawless and political, and will do what it likes. As usual in these matters, itdepends onO'Connor and Kennedy. The line up is: Rehnquist, Scalia, Thomas, reverse; Ginsberg, Souter,Breyer, Stevens, affirm, Kennedy, probably reverse, O'Connor, who can guess.

jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx