Single mother

John Norem johnnor at mindspring.com
Sun May 19 17:01:49 PDT 2002

This story is taken from news at sacbee.com.

Christian school expels nude dancer's daughter

By Erika Chavez -- Bee Staff Writer - (Published May 16, 2002)

A Sacramento private school has expelled a kindergarten student three weeks before the end of the school year, saying her mother's work as a nude dancer clashes with its Christian philosophy. Christina Silvas, 24, of Rancho Cordova said one reason she took the job as a dancer at Gold Club Centerfolds off Highway 50 was so she could afford the $400 monthly tuition at Capital Christian School. "If you choose to do the wrong thing willfully, then God's word instructs me as to what my responsibility is," said Rick Cole, the head pastor of Capital Christian Center who made the decision to expel the girl. "I need to be faithful to my calling." Silvas, who previously worked at the church as a Sunday school teacher, has a different view. "I thought the church was supposed to accept everybody," she said. "That's my understanding of what God is about. My daughter is the one who goes to school there, not me, and they're turning her away." Silvas, who is single, said school administrators telephoned her last week and told her that in response to persistent rumors, a parent went to the strip club's Web site, downloaded pictures of Silvas and brought them to school staff. Silvas told them she does dance at the all-nude bar, which doesn't serve alcohol, and subsequently met with Cole. As head pastor of Capital Christian, which at 4,000 members is one of the largest Assemblies of God churches in the country, Cole had final say on the matter. Silvas said Cole told her not only will her 5-year-old daughter be expelled, but as long as she keeps her job at the club, neither she nor her daughter can attend church there. Silvas said her daughter enjoys the school's daily worship sessions and was looking forward to the end-of-the-year pool party and graduation ceremony. She hasn't told the girl why she won't be able to go to school next week. "I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to tell her," she said. Silvas said that when she enrolled her daughter, she signed a statement that stipulated she would abide by the school's Christian commitment/philosophy and that "weekly church attendance is necessary for continued enrollment at CCS." The statement also reads, in part, "CCS is interested in maintaining a partnership with our parents regarding the standards and criteria of a Christian learning structure that involves the entire family." By working as an exotic dancer and refusing to change her vocation, Silvas violated the school's philosophy, Cole said. "She was not in compliance with what she agreed to," he said. "There's a commitment form that parents sign. They agree to our Christian commitment and standard of living." Seeking a resolution, Silvas and Cole met privately Tuesday. "I talked to her for over an hour, letting her know how much God cares about her and loves her and that he has a much better plan for her than what she is doing with her life right now," Cole said. He promised that if Silvas quit her job, he and the church would forgive her, help her and even waive tuition for the month of June. "My understanding was she would come back to me after thinking about it and let me know her decision," Cole said. "It's very stunning to me to see it on the news. We've been thrust into this media craze, but not by our desire." Silvas said the decision is not simple and couldn't be made that quickly. "I have other expenses besides my daughter's tuition," she said. "I am also concerned with providing a comfortable life for my daughter." Silvas said she feels she is being demonized. "I'm trying to let them know we're not evil because of our work, and we do have an awareness of God. My job is legal, it's not illegal." Though Silvas is considering legal action, experts in education law say that may not be a good option. "In a private school, it's hard to make a breach of contract action because they have the right to kick a kid out at any time for any reason," said Michael Sorgen, an education lawyer in San Francisco. Even though the school has the legal right to expel the child, that doesn't make it right, Sorgen said. "What seems really harsh is kicking the kid out before the school year closes," he said. "I find it outrageous, heavy-handed and disproportionate." Because kindergarten isn't mandatory in California, Silvas couldn't prove damage to her daughter in that sense, Sorgen said. The girl "will complete the class without any hindrance to moving into the first grade," Cole said. Expelling the child immediately was regrettable but necessary, he said. "Parents have become aware and they're concerned about what their children are being exposed to," he said. "We can't let it adversely affect the morale of the school and the church." Both Silvas and Cole said they hope the conflict will be resolved. "I feel very sorrowful for her and what she's going through right now," said Cole. "We certainly forgive her for what she's doing and would certainly welcome her back if she were to say, 'I'm willing to do the right thing.' " Silvas said she will keep telling her daughter not to worry, and "praying that something will change." Capital Christian School made headlines in 1995, when it prohibited 13-year-old Ben Sharpe from giving the valedictory speech at its eighth-grade graduation. His alleged infraction: a short haircut that violated the school dress code, which does not allow shaved heads. The school subsequently issued an apology. Sharpe sued alleging civil-rights violations, and the suit was settled out of court. He went on to be a star athlete and scholar at Jesuit High School and is in his third year at Stanford University, where he is studying civil engineering. Faye Sharpe, the mother who fought the school's decision on the public stage, said she was disappointed by the school's recent action. "It doesn't surprise me," she said. "They're very rigid in their thinking. Rigid and unforgiving." She also expressed sympathy for Silvas. "I'm sure paying that kind of tuition is hard for a single mom," she said. "The school should be grateful that she cares enough about her child to make sure she provides for her."

About the Writer

--------------------------- The Bee's Erika Chavez can be reached at (916) 321-1083 or echavez at sacbee.com .

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/2748250p-3512801c.html

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/05/16/silvas.cnna/index.html