Fwd: BOUNCE lbo-talk at lists.panix.com: Non-member submission from [Bradford DeLong <jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu>]

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 20 05:54:24 PDT 2002

[since I have to forward, I get to respond in prepended fashion - yeah, I'm all for democratic politics - if only we had more of it in the USA - people didn't vote for an escalated war in 1964, but they got one anyway - more people voted for Gore than Bush, but we got Bush, thanks to a creakingly idiotic 18th century electora contraption - I didn't vote for someone who speaks nonsense like that in French, did I? - I like Big Macs, and I also suspect I'd like the Niman Ranch rib eye steak grilled over fig wood, with béarnaise sauce and pommes frites they're serving at Chez Panisse next Saturday]

Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 20:12:49 -0700 To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com From: Bradford DeLong <jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu> Subject: Re: second wave attacks Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" ; format="flowed" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit X-MIME-Autoconverted: from quoted-printable to 8bit by dont.panix.com id XAA02097

> > It is a problem. But do you trust the very agents & institutions that
>> had a large hand in creating the problem to solve it? We've got a
>> principal (people like us who'd like to stay alive) / agent (the U.S.
>> imperial state) issue here.
>>
> > Doug

Ummm.... Solving this principal/agent problem is called "democratic politics." If you don't like the thought of Paul Wolfowitz and Elliott Abrams guiding American foreign policy, think that Al Gore would not have appointed them.

Use your vote! Don't throw it away on somebody who wanders around France saying: "Le remplacement de votre cuisine traditionnelle par des nourritures standardisÈes de firmes multinationales ý haute teneur en graisses et sucres est plus qu'un affront ý vos cultures, c'est une arme de destruction massive".

"Les armes de destruction massive" are thermonuclear bombs, widely-distributed powdered anthrax, and nerve gas--not McChicken sandwiches...

Brad DeLong