second-wave attacks

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Mon May 20 06:43:38 PDT 2002

> How did Taliban misrule engender famine? I was unaware that they were
> screwing with food sources. They did, however, clamp down on heroin, the
> procedes from which enable many Afghans to buy food.
>
> Chris Doss
> The Russia Journal

The Taliban refused to hand over bin Laden after al-Q's attacks on the embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, and thus faced UN sanctions which worsened an already bleak situation in Afghanistan. They then jacked up taxes on farmers from 10 to 60 percent which was disastrous, and their wiping out of the poppy crops was not followed by the planting and cultivation of substitute crops, which added to the misery. Now, was the UN wrong to impose sanctions? Did the US have a right to demand the extradition of bin Laden? Depends on your view, I suppose. But it seems clear to me that the Taliban were more interested in protecting their valued "guest" than kicking that bastard out and allowing food and medicine to flow in. In other words, they put a Saudi theocratic terrorist's needs above those of the Afghan people. I would view that as misrule contributing to starvation. Others may see it as anti-imperial resistance. Again, depends on your view.

DP