Zizek: Are We in a War?

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon May 20 12:06:44 PDT 2002

Slavoj Zizek:

Thus the Orwellian motto 'War is Peace' finally becomes reality,

and military action against the Taliban can be presented as

a way to guarantee the safe delivery of humanitarian aid. We

no longer have an opposition between war and humanitarian aid:

the same intervention can function at both levels simultaneously.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v24/n10/zize2410.htm

Not "finally" in the sense of "just now". LBJ made a similar claim during the War in Vietnam: he said something like "If you want to understand what we are doing in Vietnam, look at what we are doing at home." That is, warfare and police action on the one hand, Welfare and wheel-greasing on the other. I know this only because the _East_Village_Other_ of blessed memory naturally picked up on this remark and printed it on their front page with some suitably gruesome war photo. It's just the normal MO of the Soft Cop, but is seldom put so succinctly, Soft Cops being fond of luxuriant verbiage.

The concept of _homo_sacer_ is not to new, either; they are "the lesser breeds without the Law". Its revival as a useful category of square practice can probably be expected near the apex of any imperial trajectory.

-- Gordon