Zizek: Are We in a War?

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Tue May 21 17:58:28 PDT 2002

Pollack:
>done such a thing here. Because that would be efficient terror. It would
>cause enormous economic losses and hysteria for very little expense on
>their part, and very little need for organization, and so very little
>chance of getting prematurely caught. In Israel today they have a guard
>in front of every public place. Can you imagine that here? And a huge
>falling off in shopping and going out for entertainment among a populace
>that is much better used to this sort of thing. The hysteria and costs
>here would be powers of ten greater. It'd knock this weak recovery flat
>on its ass.

If what was going on in Israel was happening here, gun-crazed Americans would form vigilante groups and it would be very ugly, which perhaps is a compliment of sorts to the Israelis.

>So why aren't they happening? Is Al-Qaeda maybe not quite so numerous or
>powerful or diabolical as we've been led to expect? Maybe suicide bombers
>don't grow on trees after all. In Israel, after all, they have a nursery
>right next door. But people here aren't watching their brothers shot down
>or their houses bulldozed or their dads humiliated. They have to convince
>themselves with theory all alone in their rooms that Today is a Good Day
>to Die. That's probably much harder than being surrounded every day by
>martyr worship up until the moment you actually do it. It might be that
>the pilots of those planes were some pretty rare guys.
>
>Michael

Maybe the Bush administration (gasp) succeeded in disrupting Al-Qaeda's network or al-Qaeda isn't such a big deal *or* they're patiently waiting. 911 was a pretty effective undertaking, so I'm leaning towards the latter.

Peter