Another claim of negligence

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Wed May 22 18:08:09 PDT 2002

Michael McIntyre wrote:
> Hell, Doug, even capturing bin Laden has become a distinctly secondary
>objective. We know where the concentrations of AQ strength are, and NONE
>of them are the objects of the next phase of the war. It's clear that
>crushing AQ isn't part of the >imperial agenda because we've stopped trying
>to crush AQ. As soon as we announced >that Pakistan - AQ's creator and
>patron - was our "ally" in this war, it was entirely >predictable that the
>AQ camps outside Afghanistan would go untouched.
>
> Does anyone on this list have any evidence that the U.S. is now actively
>engaged in >an attempt to crush the very substantial remaining capability
of
>AQ, or that the new foci of our military mobilizations will do anything to
>degrade AQ's capabilities?

The US is not in this game for the love of humanity. Pakistan has always been a close ally of the US (and China). Pakistan is located at the key point with respect to the Persian Gulf and the Central Asia. Pakistan acts as a useful counter weight to India in the Anglo-American perspective. The US is not going to abandon Pakistan. The mess in Afghanistan was created by the Soviet Union and the US. India has to cope with the 'collateral damage' from this mess on her own.

Ulhas