Bush on Russia summt

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Thu May 23 06:09:52 PDT 2002

A propos, since he arrives in Moscow tonight.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal ------------------ Excerpt The White House Office of the Press Secretary May 22, 2002 Remarks by the President in Roundtable Interview with European Print Reporters

Q How do you, Mr. President, see Russia in the near future?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, first of all, it's the same issue that relates to the European Union and America, as well as Russia and America. We want healthy competition. We want our friends to be strong and competitive. We want the economies to grow. I think it's essential for American policy makers to recognize that a healthy Europe and a healthy Russia is in our nation's interests. It makes it easier -- for example, a healthy economy makes it more likely that a friendship will develop in a more significant way.

And so my message to the Russian people, as well as to here at home, is that it is important that Russia be viewed as a friend, not as an enemy. I said that right off the bat; that was my stated goal as a President, is to work with Russia as a friend not as an enemy. I was able in Slovenia to realize that was possible when I visited with President Putin. And this head of his bureau there, or whatever you want to call the guy, asked me the question, first question: Do you trust Putin?

THE PRESIDENT: Yes. I answered that several months ago when -- what's the boy's name, Fournier is his name -- please, please, scratch that from the -- (laughter) -- scratch that from the notes.

They said, how do you know? I said, I looked into his eyes and was able to glimpse into his soul. See, and I've been proven right. I do trust him because I believe he cares deeply about moving forward. There's so much that can be done in the spirit of friendship, together. And that's how I view -- that's -- and we've got a lot of problems.

We've got AIDS ravishing an entire continent. Well, imagine, here we are, we're all representative of relatively wealthy nations -- hopefully, Russia's wealth will increase -- and, yet, we're confronted with a society that's being wiped out. And so one of the fundamental questions is how -- what do we do? We've got nations, responsible nations, how do we respond to that?

And I've got some ideas. As you know, we put a -- anyway, my point to you is that we want Russia to succeed. We want Russia to be healthy. We want Russia, our partner now in fighting terrorism, to have the means to continue the fight. And I hope this trip will help, you know, assuage the doubts of some in Russia who -- and in America -- who like the old way of resentment and bitterness and hatred. Vladimir Putin and I are putting that behind us, for the good of both peoples....

Q Mr. President, can you please describe your relationship -- I'm excited, therefore I'm reading. (Laughter.) Can you please describe your relationship with President Vladimir Putin?

THE PRESIDENT: Yes.

Q How do you call each other during the informal session? What are the subjects of your conversation after official state session?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, I would call my relationship warm. I enjoy his company. He has got a good sense of humor, and I appreciate that. And he has kindly invited me to his house, and I'm looking forward to going.

Our conversations will be about -- here's a man who loves Russia, and he loves the Russian people. And he's deeply concerned about problems facing Russia. And a lot of times, even in the most informal gathering, he shares with me his deep concerns.

He is a -- he also is a man who worries about the threats that Russia faces. We share a common interest in this war on terror, because Russia, herself, has been attacked; innocent people have lost life. And he's passionate on the subject, about protecting his homeland. And we share information about how best to do that. I mean, we ask questions, as friends would ask questions: "How are you doing this? Where are you doing that?"

Q How do you call him? Vladimir?

THE PRESIDENT: Oh, I call him Vladimir, yes.

Q Vladimir?

THE PRESIDENT: Yes. And he calls me George.

MR. FLEISCHER: Jorzh.

THE PRESIDENT: But he's a -- one of the interesting things we're going to do is go to St. Petersburg together, and go on the barges and see the White Nights.

Q Do you know a couple of words in Russian?

THE PRESIDENT: No.

Q No?

THE PRESIDENT: Nyet. (Laughter.) One. But I've got a Russian speaker with me. Senorita Arroz. "Arroz" means rice.