Do Everythinger

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu May 23 09:46:52 PDT 2002

Gordon Fitch wrote:

> Claiming moral superiority by criticizing others for
> claiming moral superiority is a terrible and persistent
> vice. Fortunately, I'm sure no one on this mailing list
> would indulge in it.

This is a good principle. Hence the following corrected version of my post:

*** Tahir believes that whenever something unfortunate or tragic happens leftists should immediately stop organizing. "Do not take advantage of disaster" is a fundamental principle of unity on the left.

He also believes that any speculation as to the political situation a probable future condition is the same as wishing for that condition to occur.

Leftists who engage in such speculation and/or preparation should be excluded from participation in left activity.

Leftists must wait until capitalism creates utopia before attempting its revolutionary transformation or overthrow.

For example, the left should never launch campaigns against unsafe working conditions because that is an instance of the despicable practice of exploiting the misery of others.***

A few additional observations.

First, I have two questions:

1. Is taking Lenin seriously as a revolutionary thinker (a) an intellectualand/or political error or (b) a character weakness?

2. Is it possible to debate political principle with "Leninists," or are "Leninists" unprincipled by definition?

Tahir also wrote: "it is more important to realise that this epitomises the 'strategy and tactics' mentality, which is Lenin's great legacy to us all." I'm not sure if any position, or any holder of a position, can be reduced to a "mentality," but I would like to hear more on (a) why it is wrong to plan and (b) why strategy and tactics should be seen as unique to Lenin? For example, is not labelling an opponent (or the argument held by that opponent)"despicable" a tactic of some sort?

Carrol