another view of Daschle

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Thu May 23 13:43:30 PDT 2002

>One of the interesting stories in this -- and this is one that a lot of
>progressives don't want to hear, but it's the truth -- is that John
Ashcroft
>gave me a call and said, what are your concerns?
>The White House overruled him, which is a
>fundamental point here. Anyone who wants to focus their fire on Ashcroft is
>missing the point. This is the Bush Administration. Ashcroft is its
>instrument.

No question Daschle was craven on the Patriot Act. This comment reinforces the point I had when people were slamming Feingold for supporting Ashcroft for Attroney General. Trying to pick off cabinet officers make little difference, since policy comes from the top guy. The EPA is appalling under Christy Whitman and the Justice Department would be appalling under any Bush appointee. Ashroft is actually good in the position, since his rancid reputation makes it easier to attack Bush civil liberties policies than if a smoother type was in the position trying to sell the same policies.

I really wish Feingold would run in 2004.

-- Nathan Newman